Thursday, March 6, 2008

Farms are cool.

Thats what Maggie thinks. She has a field trip tomorrow to a farm where they are going to jump in the hay, milk the cows, and feed the pigs (according to her). I'm sure they will have great fun. I was asked to chaperone, but I just couldn't after having missed so much work lately. Bummer. They are also supposed to wear their Yavapai school shirts. Uhmmm....school shirts? They have those? Doh! Her teacher said Maggie could just wear either a purple or grey shirt. Hmmmm....I don't think we have any of those either. The closest I can get is a lavendar long sleeved shirt, but it will probably be too hot. Maggie...don't run off ok?

Speaking of farms, did I mention we signed up for a CSA about a month ago. (Community Supported Agriculture) Desert Roots is a local farm that delivers a big bag of organic veggies to our door every Thursday. I get excited on Thursdays. You never know what will be in the bag. Sweet potatoes, chard, onions, carrots, strawberry spinach, butternut squash, turnips, lettuce of all kinds, easter egg radishes, broccoli, and more. There is always something quirky that I would never have bought (or things they don't sell in the grocery) along with some recipe ideas. Its really making us branch out and try new things. And its been fun! The next best thing to a farmers market. However, this week, amongst lots of great veggies, they delivered cilantro. YUCK! Cilantro tastes like soap. I'm going to have Maggie offer it to our neighbors. Sorry Desert Roots! We are a no cilantro family!

No comments: